Saturday, April 16, 2011

Habanero IPA Cheddar Soup

This recipe was posted on Reddit by BeerIsDelicious. I messaged him and asked if I could use the recipe on my blog. He said yes (obviously!) and so here it is! I dedicate this post to him. Thanks for the recipe. :)



Everything that is used!

Heat a large pot and cook the bacon.

Cook the bacon until it is nice and crispy!

Remove the bacon from the pan. Leave a bit of the bacon fat in the pan. I had a lot of excess fat, so I drained off most of it leaving about two tablespoons.

Chop the bacon up. Put off to the side for now.

Chop your veggies! Onion, celery, shallots, garlic and a habanero pepper.

Add the chopped veggies to the pan with the bacon fat in it. Add a pinch of salt. Cook on medium-low heat until the vegetables are soft.

Mmmm. The vegetables have softened and the color has come out beautifully.

Add the butter and about 2/3 of the bacon back to the pan.

Once the butter has melted completely, add the flour. Cook for about five minutes.

Add the chicken stock to the mixture, bringing to a boil.

Once the soup has thickened, add the milk.

Add your homebrew as well! Bring the mixture to a simmer.

Once the foam subsides, the soup will need to be blended. I used a stick blender to do this. You could use a regular blender if needed.

Now it's time to add the cheese! The recipe calls for sharp cheddar cheese, shredded. I was too lazy to make it shredded so I just chopped it up. I'm sure I could have bought the cheese already shredded... whoops.

Add the cheese by the handful. I have small girly hands, so I needed to hold it this way. Don't judge me. Turn the heat down to low and let the cheese melt in with the rest of your soup.

Sprinkle some of the remaining bacon on top of your soup.

Best way to enjoy it? With a homebrew of course!



That sounds delicious... What do I need??

-1 medium onion
-3 stalks celery, diced
-2 shallots, diced
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 habanero pepper, minced
-6 slices of bacon
-1 cup milk
-1 12ounce homebrewed IPA (We used a Pale Ale... Sierra Nevada clone!)
-1 quart chicken stock
-3 tablespoons butter
-3 tablespoons flour
-1 pound sharp cheddar, shredded
-salt and pepper to taste


<3
J

No comments:

Post a Comment